Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 42:

During my rather leisurely breakfast, I had a wonderful conversation with a family from Northern Illinois, and then a lovely older couple from Memphis, TN, (because I eat so much food, breakfast usually takes a while, so I end up seeing a lot of people come and go). The husband, who had a thick accent, loved bicycling. He said that in the 1960's, he rode his bike to work everyday, which was, at that time, very uncommon for adults to do. It was enough of a rarity that one night, as he was biking back from work, he was stopped by a police officer, who wanted to see a receipt for the bike. So, the man started carrying his receipt with him, so he wouldn't be accused of stealing it. He was also asked for his driver's license, which "I just really don't understand, and didn't want to give him, because I was on a bike for God's sakes. But, it was the 60's, and he just stood there, tapping his baton in his hand, and I really didn't want to see my beautiful new bike marked up because of his darn baton." I could have stayed and talked with them the whole day, but alas, I had to put the finishing touches on my tire, put it back on my bike, and get to the bike store.

I'm not exactly sure why, but the seating was a bit off again as the ride was not smooth, so I went to the nearest gas station and corrected it, and managed to get covered in grease, and I wasn't even a half mile in. (I wouldn't call the sock on my handlebar white anymore). The nearest bike shop was about 50 miles away. I had to make it there, because I was out of CO2 cartridges, and had that one spare tube left. It was slightly nerve wracking, and I was crossing my fingers that the patch would hold. I took an alternate route that was flatter and paralleled the Mississippi a bit, because I wanted to see more of this magnificent river. And while it was a nice reprieve for my eyes, I really spent the first 16 miles racing along the road, because I had a feeling that time might not be on my side as far as my tire was concerned. Nothing like a Good Morning Muscles: WAKE UP NOW!!! Secretly, I loved it though because I was back up to high speeds... until I hit Cora.

Cora consists of a road called Cora Road, a few mobile homes, and dogs that are tied up that were itching to chase me, surrounded by a Levee that has a gravel road on top. I had been taking State Route 3 before this point, and although there was a bit of traffic, it was beautifully flat, and I was making great time. Then, the Adventure Cycling map took me to Cora, onto Levee Road, and Little Levee Road. While it was beautiful to be riding on this raised land that is higher than the meadows and plains and even the river around you, (and the coal plant), the gravel roads really made me nervous: My back tire was already compromised, and I really was hoping that my front tire would not decide to wear out. There was nothing but farmlands for miles, with a few houses here and there that looked vacated, for the most part. If I got a flat here, it would be a long day with my hand pump, 23C tube, and no CO2 cartridge. The gravel also slows me down. I was on this for quite a few miles. Such perfect timing. I guess Mother Nature thought all of this was pretty amusing, because then I got a lovely headwind. What a blast. Of course, there was nothing I could do except to keep pedaling.

Usually, I have to dodge the crickets that sit about a foot into the road and then try to move at the last second. Some of them jump into my panniers. Today, I had quite a few wooly caterpillars to dodge. At one point, I didn't fully swerve and ran over a caterpillar, killing it by mistake. What was interesting though, was that I really began to think about the how we have such grand effect on the world around us on a day to day basis.. We kill small insects and bugs all of the time, and it is interesting to think of the effect in the immediate ecosystems, as much of the casualties, if you will, become food for other insects/animals, or decompose. We cause a different chain of events to occur. And this quick thought (I had to elaborate here for clarity), turned into how what we do can really effect the lives of others, even if it is in the future and you don't physically interact with them. For example, the road graffiti in the desert, or the fact that I didn't put in the right tube yesterday affected at least one other person, as he stopped what he was doing to help... Or throwing beer bottles out the window, so cyclists like myself can run over them and get glass caught in their tire. So, it made me think of small things that I do that could would affect somebody else, and how I could do things different to bring about positive effects, like collecting all of my dirty towels in the hotel and leaving them in a pile for housekeeping, instead of leaving them in 3 different places, putting all of my trash in one waste basket in the room, or collecting an empty cup left at a gas station that was neglected to be thrown out, even though the garbage can is 3 feet away so someone else doesn't have to do it. So, practicing "doing the right thing," becomes beneficial for somebody else... in very small and seemingly insignificant ways. It may go unnoticed, and it may actually change a thing, but on the chance that it may bring about a positive change to someone, it is totally worth doing.

I rolled into Murphysboro around lunchtime, and sought after the nearest Subway. I didn't have a place to lock my bike, so washing the grease off my hands was "tricky," and admittedly, they didn't get that clean. Also, at the local post office, I had a package awaiting me from my boyfriend's parents. When I got to the post office, the three other people in there looked at me like I as slightly wacko, because I was just so excited to have such wonderful treats, sent from wonderful people. Not to mention it was all delicious. There were Vermont Honey Crisp apples that were the sweetest, juiciest, and crispiest apples I have had in a long time. I channeled myself back home as I was eating it, and I just didn't want it to end!!!

My tire was holding up pretty well, but I still wanted to race to Carbondale and get to the bike shop. Carbondale was a large city, but the roads were beautiful and flat, and it didn't take me long to get there. The people at the bike shop, (the Bike Surgeon,) were awesome. The kid helping me inspected my tire for me (it always helps to have another pair of eyes) to make sure I had removed all of the suspicious debris. He replaced the patched tire with a new tube, and I got two extra ones, as well as 3 extra CO2 cartridges. I also bought three packs of recovery powder to make recovery drinks with for after my longer rides. The owner of the bike shop is a woman who is fourth in the nation in her racing category, (CAT 3, It is from 1-4, and the highest is CAT 1), and she got me all pumped up about loosing my panniers and putting on some road tires on my bike seeing how fast I could go when I got home. Hopefully, the snow holds off a bit this winter so I can see what America has done for my legs.

I decided to call it quits for the day, as it was around 4, and I desperately needed to do laundry and mentally relax, especially now that I felt confident that I had everything I need as far as tire repairs go. There were a few options for lodging. I went into one place that was most reasonable, but the only rooms that they had were smoking rooms. The man took me in the room so I could see what it was like, but it was simply overwhelming, so I headed next door. Good thing, because as I was walking to find food later that night, I turned around to see that that particular hotel was up in flames. Weird how things work out, huh?

Today, after a short 55 miles, I finished the 3rd map of the Trans American Trail and I left it in Murphysboro to head to Evansville, IN, and then Owensboro, KY, where I pick up the Underground Railroad trail up top Erie.  Tomorrow will be a long day, and one of many.





No comments:

Post a Comment